ALL PULP PAGES

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

YO HO HO-MORE PIRATEY INTERVIEWS FROM PULP EMPIRE!


PulpEmpire.com is proud to offer our newest anthology Pirates & Swashbucklers, a seventeen story collection of great pirate pulp fiction! Pirates & Swashbucklers author Kameron W. Franklin interviewed his fellow writers of the new Pulp Empire anthology out now!

Today he sits down with Pam Bitner, author of “The Mark of the Brotherhood”.

When did you first realize you were a writer?
In middle school, though my writing back then would better serve as toilet paper. By high school, I only allowed my close friends to read anything and they encouraged me to go beyond that.

What authors influence or inspire you?
First and foremost, David Morrell. He was the first author I really, really started looking forward to the next book to come out. Lately, Brent Weeks has caught my attention. Not only is he a great guy, he tells a great story. Both make reading a joy.

What book(s) have you read more than once? What drew you back?
Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell. The characters drew me back. It’s the only book I’ve ever read twice.

Do you consider yourself a “pulp” writer? Why? Is there another genre you like to write?
I’ve written pulp, but it’s not the only genre I write, so I don’t consider myself exclusively ‘pulp’. I have a couple of alter egos out there writing anything from young adult and beyond. For me, it’s not about writing in one genre. It’s about taking it and writing a story well. I haven’t found a genre I didn’t like yet.

In 25 words or less, how would you define “pulp” as a genre?
Gritty. It’s got that character you sometimes love to hate, and perhaps to some level, it’s got a bit of cliche cheese, but in a good way. A femme fatale doesn’t hurt either.

What made you decide to submit a story for the Pirates & Swashbucklers anthology?
I belong to a private writer’s site called Scribophile. A couple of the ladies and I have a group there and when a good anthology waggles its bum in our direction, we announce it. I’ve always liked the arrogance of a swashbuckler and how, no matter what, they get out of trouble and snag the girl in one swoop.

Read more of Kameron’s interviews at PensAndSwords.com.


Pulp Empire Presents: Pirates & Swashbucklers is now available at Pulp Empire.com. Until October 10th, use the code “62QUSQGC” at our CreateSpace bookstore to receive 15% off on the book!