ALL PULP PAGES

Thursday, September 30, 2010

REVIEWS FROM THE 86TH FLOOR- Reviews by Barry Reese

FIRST WAVE #4

DC Comics
Brian Azzarello & Rags Morales


The fourth issue in the First Wave "kick-off" limited series is finally here, despite the fact that the line has progressed far beyond it at this point. As with the first three issues, the art is stellar -- Rags Morales is one of the best working in comics today and I enjoyed his interpretations of Doc Savage, The Spirit, Rima and The Bat Man quite a bit.

Unfortunately, the story is still a bit of a mess, with an unclear plot-line and some unlikeable characterization along the way. How does Doc Savage know the Golden Tree is evil? Because they claim to be interested in promoting peace but they haven't invited him to be a member, and he's practically the face of fighting for peace! I've seen some reviewers online who seem to like that reasoning but it stopped me in my tracks and made me wonder just how big Doc's ego is supposed to be. They must be evil because they didn't invite me to join? What?

I did enjoy The Bat Man's internal narration at the end and there is an undeniable thrill to seeing Doc alongside The Spirit and Bat Man but if this is the best DC can do with these characters, I think the First Wave isn't going to be around much longer.