ALL PULP PAGES

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

ALL PULP INTERVIEWS BAD TIGER-FINAL INTERVIEW- Steven Wilcox!


For the last interview in the BAD TIGER STUDIO series, ALL PULP takes on Steven Wilcox, Artist!


ALL PULP: Tell us about yourself, your personal background, and how you got into writing/art/etc.

SW: I have been drawing, in some form or another, since I was able to hold a pencil – even before I could write. My dad cultivated my love of drawing things like Batman and Spider-Man into a love of comic books by subscribing to several titles when I was growing up. The love of drawing and love of comics seemed to go hand-in-hand for me. As my tastes matured, so, too, did my art ability. 

AP: What is your role at Bad Tiger?

SW: At Bad Tiger, I’m the co-creator, penciller, inker and colorist of The Black Viper: Enemy of Evil strip.

AP: In our modern society, some would say that there's nothing new or original anymore.  What makes Bad Tiger stand out?

SW: While there is “nothing new” these days there are new ways of presenting old ideas and themes. Bad Tiger wants to be known as the New Home of Pulp Adventures!

AP: What are your inspirations, influences for the work you do?

SW: Personally, my wife of twenty years and my four children inspire me in everything I do. Artistically, I find inspiration in a lot of artists, mostly comic book artists like John Byrne, Alex Ross, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Tim Bradstreet, and Jim Lee to name a few. Outside of comics, I love the work of Norman Rockwell and Alphonse Mucha.

AP: What do you think appeals to the public about heroic/genre fiction and/or comic strips?  Why will people come to Bad Tiger?

SW: Because most of us grew up on comics and pulp adventures, and like the old fashioned storytelling of our youth, we tend to make our comics/stories the way we would want to read them…

AP: Last question! Say whatever you'd like to about Bad Tiger, yourself, or the experience!

SW: Working with Bad Tiger has been a joy. They embraced a character that me and my co-creator Justin Jude Carmona came up with a few years ago and gave him a home. We’re about to embark on adventures of The Black Viper that haven’t been sitting in a drawer for a few years, (the first two episodes were done in 2008 or 2009).

BAD TIGER STUDIO- www.badtigerstudio.com