ALL PULP PAGES

Friday, December 3, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH DAVID BOOP!!!

DAVID BOOP-Pulp Writer

AP: Tell us a little about yourself and your pulp interests.

DB: I'm a single dad, full time employee, returning college student and author. I've gone in and out of pulp fandom over the years, but keep coming back. I guess I'm here to stay this time. Heh. I mostly came at it from the film industry; the serials, film noir, and pulp mysteries. I didn't get into the pulp heroes until later, maybe late eighties.

AP: What does pulp mean to you?

DB: There are many ways to look at pulp, from the pure meaning of books published quickly and cheaply in the 30s-40s, to the style of writing you get when you publish quickly and cheaply. They didn't have the time to develop complicated plots and deep characters. These guys were straight forward, courageous and everything they weren’t and wanted to be. I considered that when I created Gridiron. I was never into sports and don't do well with pain. *snicker* He’s able to handle both. I wanted to make someone I could hope to be when the chips were down.

AP: Your novel, She Murdered Me with Science is a mix of noir action and good old-fashioned pulp adventure. What was your inspiration for the novel and do you have any plans to return to the world introduced in She Murdered Me With Science?

DB: The novel came from a dream, mostly what you see in the prolog of the book; a hairless man, running down an alleyway, trying to flee someone unseen. He thinks he's escaped into a crowd of people when all of a sudden his head explodes. I woke up wanting to know what killed him and why. I knew I didn't have the answer, so I had to invent someone who could. I came up with my scientist-detective and set him in a pulp-noir world of hideous hit men, dangerous dames and strange science. As for returning, yes. I'm currently working on the follow-up, Murdered in a Mechanical World (and I'm a Mechanical Girl).

AP: You have worked on shorter pulp tales Full Throttle Space Tales, Tales Of The Talisman, 2020 Visions, Six Guns Straight from Hell, and Mystery Men vol. 1, plus others.  What draws you to these shorter tales?

DB: When I get an idea, I kind of know instinctually how much story it's going to need to be realized. Most of the ideas I get don't have a full novel in them. Thank God, or otherwise, I'd never sleep. Sometimes I'll also test the waters of the world/characters by writing it as a short and seeing if it has legs for a novel.

AP: Do you have a favorite genre in which to work or do you like to play the field and work in as many different genres as possible?

DB: I get inspiration across all spectrums. I love writing with a noir panache. I enjoy crossing genres, especially. Weird westerns are my current blend of choice. As mentioned, I'm also spending time back in the fifties for MG, so that infusing my work with that pulp mentality again.

AP: What, if any, existing characters would you like to try your hand at writing?

DB: Indiana Jones, hands down. I've been bugging Lucasbooks for years. I have both a short and novel waiting for them. I wish I could have written the Phantom before it left Moonstone. I might have one or two tie-ins in the near future, but those are super secret projects. Shhhhh!

AP: Who are some of your creative influences?

DB: For classics: Rex Stout, Dashiell Hammett, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Modern word slingers include Alan Dean Foster, Mike Stackpole, Michael Connelly, Kevin J. Anderson.

AP: What does David Boop do when he’s not writing?

DB: Mostly, focus on my son. He's autistic and needs a lot of attention. I feel blessed, as the situation could have been so much worse had we not caught it as early as we did. I've learned a lot about patience. I also watch a lot of movies, read comics, and other geeky endeavors. Oh, and date. But we’re not talking horror stories today. *snicker*  

AP: Where can readers find learn more about you and your work?

DB: http://www.davidboop.com/. I have interviews, a page for each of my works, and good clean fun like the "Finding Bobby Nash" game. You'd like it.

AP: Any upcoming projects you would like to mention?

DB: I have three anthos in the fourth quarter: Mystery Men (and Women) Vol 1., Six-Guns Straight From Hell, and 2020 Visions. In the first q, I have my first non-crossed-over mystery in a new mystery magazine called "BĂȘte Noire." Also, I should be able to announce one of those secret projects before Christmas, if all goes well.

AP: Are there any upcoming convention appearances or signings coming up where fans can meet you?

DB: Not until late in the first quarter, unless you're in Colorado Springs. I do COSine every January. Then in May, you can find me in Arkansas at PulpArk.

AP: And finally, what advice would you give to anyone wanting to be a writer?

DB: If writing was not your focus before now, go back to school, get good critical feedback from a creative writing course, then surround yourself with other people hungry as you to be published and read. Oh, and go to conventions, learn about publishing from the pros. Find out their mistakes and don’t repeat them. Make all new ones. You will, and that's just fine.

AP: Thanks, David.